Identity and the wider media



1) The Factsheet discusses how identity is a complex subject. What does it suggest defines our identity?

• who we think we are 

• who we want to be… and 

• who we think others think we are

2) Complete the task on page 2: suggest media texts that could reinforce that someone is non-mainstream; edgy; a pleasure seeker; fashionable; witty and fun; cutting-edge.

I am a person that tends to make my own trends and it then allows me to be different. When things go viral I even get time to even to see them to be honest and don’t talk about these types of events unless its something worth talking about. therefore when someone messages me i don't reply because I don't actually use my phone. 
I like to smoke, get drunk and do what I want. I only care about myself and don’t care what people think of me so that’s why I read the DAILY Mail. 

a pleasure seeker 

I like to watch things that are rated very highly so I know what I am watching is good. I like to read inspirational quotes on the internet to get my day started. 

fashionable 

I mostly only use Instagram as I can see all the design I follow and see what the latest trends are. I used my media to let people see my outfits and read GQ as well as Vogue to make sure I keep up with new fashionable products. 

3) What examples are suggested for a case study on urban youth?

edgy 
Hebdige said that youth cultures show their resistance to the dominant culture through their style choices to become more unique.


4) What does Hebdige argue with regards to youth culture? 

Hebdige suggest that youth cultures show their resistance to the dominant culture through their style choices to become more unique.

5) What other theorists are referenced alongside Hebdige? How do they link to the issue of youth identity?

6) How can we link our Year 12 case study on Ill Manors to youth and identity? What specific examples from the case study could be used to discuss Hebdige’s theory that youth culture challenges mainstream culture and dominant ideologies?

7) What does theorist David Gauntlett suggest regarding the media’s influence over the construction of identities?


8) Do you agree that Hebdige’s view that youth culture will always seek to resist mainstream culture and challenge dominant ideologies?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

index 2018

Identities: Introduction to Feminism

NDM: the effect of online technology on newspapers