Identities: Identity & Film blog task

1) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.
  1. I am male 
  2. I am a student
  3. I am I AM physically fit and healthy
  4. I am very competitive 
  5. I give without expecting to receive.
  6. I am able to speak in a fluent language. 
  7. I can cook 
  8. I am confident 
  9. I am open to criticism 
  10. trust myself
  11. I know that I can achieve my goals
  12. I am always filled with energy to accomplish anything I want
  13. I am confident in my abilities
  14. I act with integrity
  15. I let go of worries that drain my energy.
  16. I am lucky
  17. I am happy
  18. I am different
  19. I am honest
  20. I am different
2) Classify your answers into the categories listed  on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.
  1.  study Media, Maths and Product Design
  2. I am interested rap music
  3. I am into fashion
  4. I am interested in how things are made
  5. I am currently watching Black Mirror

3) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson or simply choose your favourite film if you weren't present). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?
  1. I go to Greenford High School
  2. I was born Ealing Hospital 
  3. I am Punjabi 

4) Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film:
  • Wilde (1997, dir. Brian Gilbert)
  • Philadelphia (1993, dir. Jonathan Demme)
  • The Wedding Banquet (1993, dir. Ang Lee)
  • The Kids are Alright (2010, dir. Lisa Cholodenko)
  • Pride (2014, dir. Matthew Warchus)
How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?

5) How have representations of LGBT issues changed in recent years? What examples from across the media (not just film) can you provide to support this view?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

index 2018

Identities: Introduction to Feminism

NDM: the effect of online technology on newspapers